The Pastoral Office of Ministry for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing is committed to supporting Catholic deaf and hard of hearing persons in achieving their full inclusion in the life of the Church.
Members in the deaf community in the Archdiocese are served through programs which foster spiritual growth, leadership and family enrichment.
Ministry for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing seeks to. . .
Assist persons deaf or hard of hearing in realizing God's presence in their lives through:
- Signed and interpreted liturgies
- Sacramental preparation
- Spiritual direction
- Annual retreats
- Cursillo and group reunions
- Marriage encounter
- Arranging for interpreters for special occasions - baptisms, weddings, funerals and other events when requested.
Provide ongoing educational opportunities through:
- Adult religious education
- Bible study groups
- Rite of Christian Initiation
- Religious education for students attending the Kansas School for the Deaf
- Assistance to teachers and/or parents of deaf students involved in parish programs
Provide support and assistance through:
- Pastoral visitation to homes
- Pastoral counseling
- Support and referral services
- Visitation to the sick, shut-ins and hospitalized
- Ephpheta Newsletter and monthly bulletins
- Awareness programs about deafness and other disabilities
- Workshops on religious signs
- Service to late-deafened adults
- Resource center
- Advocacy at Archdiocesan and parish levels
Deaf Retreats are held annually during the second weekend in Oct. For more information contact
Signed Masses at St. Paul's, Olathe
After the signed Masses there is usually a pot luck dinner followed by a meeting or a social. Please bring a salad or a vegetable dish that serves ten people. The meat is prepared by the people who volunteer to prepare it for that particular day.
We have requests for interpreted masses throughout the Archdiocese. If you know of someone who has some sign skills and would be interested in signing the Liturgy, please have them contact
Funding for this ministry is made possible through the Annual Appeal of the Archdiocese and organizational and private donations.
National Catholic Office for the Deaf
U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops
Interpreted Mass Schedule
St. Paul's, 900 S. Honeysuckle
Every Sunday at 9:00 a.m. except on the second Sunday of the month. This signed Mass is on the second Sunday of every month at 1:00 p.m.
Prince of Peace, 16000 W. 143rd St.
Every Saturday at 5:00 p.m.
Church of the Ascension, 9510 W. 127th
Every Sunday at 10:00 a.m.
Kansas City, KS
St. Peter's Cathedral, 409 N. 15th
The signed Mass is on the first Sunday of every month at 11:00 a.m.
Holy Trinity, 501 E. Chippewa
The signed Mass is on the first Sunday of every month at 10:00 a.m.
Most Pure Heart of Mary, 17th & Stone
Every Sunday at 9:30 a.m. (Please contact Cathy Mies at 785-272-5590 for interpreting services needed in the Topeka area)